Sailing Pro Shop's blog dedicated to sailing, junior racing, and everything one design. We are a company of sailors for sailors.
Foul weather gear shoppers – new this year is the must have Gill 1517 i5 Crosswind Salopettes. Is it warm? You bet. It has 100g/m2 thermal insulation and is a versatile thermal midlayer. In addition, it offers waterproof and windproof protection. Wear it as a mid layer or an outer layer in light conditions. Is it comfortable? You can bet on that also. Thank its stretch shoulder panel for that. In addition, it has a two way front zip and seat and knee reinforcement for extra durability. One thing we especially love about this piece of sailing clothing is that it won’t hold water and even when it gets wet, it remains warm. For more information or to order yours, please visit our product page.
Finishing up your holiday shopping but are still stumped on what to get the sailor in your life? We have a few ideas. Here are some sailing products that in our experience, sailors love.
1. Gill Hydrophobe Tops - On chilly days, your sailor can wear a Hydrophobe Top as a thermal layer. On warmer days, the top can be worn to help reduce wind chill. It’s lightweight and ergonomically designed. Your sailor will be able to easily move around in a Hydrophobe Top!
Mens’ Top >> | Womens’ Top >>
2. Velocitek SpeedPuck - This piece of sailing gear is a sailor’s best friend. Since sailing can be misleading, this device gives sailors the responsive boatspeed they need without any through-hull installation hassles. And hey, the boatspeed is accurate too. It’s easy to read and is waterproof. This little guy that’s 115mm / 4.5” diameter, 27 mm / 1.06” thick won a big award — the Practical Sailor 2013 Best Choice Award.
Learn more and order >>
3. Ronstan ClearStart Watches - They are innovative, functional, and shouldn’t cause you financial distress due to their affordable prices.
Check out the two we offer>>
4. NeilPryde Raceline Spray Top - This piece of sailing clothing is for the committed sportsboat and dinghy racer. It’s made from 100 percent breathable fabric, has a watertight internal pocket, and more.
View our top for men >>
5. NeilPryde Elite Thermalite Bottoms - When your sailor needs to stay keep warm and comfortable, this sailing pant delivers. It’s lightweight and can be worn in conjunction with technical under garments.
Order online or by phone. If you have any questions or need additional gift ideas, please contact us.
1. Musto LPX Jacket – Durability is not compromised with this sailing jacket that’s lightweight and offers maximum breathability and waterproofness.2. Musto Windstopper Race Mid Layer Jacket – This comfortable and stylish windstopper has a fleece-lined collar to boost your comfort level and warmth. It also has windstopper face fabric with a lofty microcheck backer that’s bound to keep you warm and cozy all season long.3. Musto Women’s ½ Zip Fleece – Another warm and cozy Musto product is this women’s fleece. It’s made with 100 percent polyester and has a knit look and slim fit.
For even more Musto products that will keep you warm, browse our online store.
Through December 26, 2013, one of our favorite sailing products manufacturers — Gill — is offering a free gift with purchase that we are extending to you – our faithful Sailing Pro Shop customers. Here’s how to take advantage of these great, limited time offers.1. Spend $150 or more on Gill products and get the Gill Harness Rescue Tool with case (MT005), a $15.95 value, free!2. Spend $325 or more on Gill products and get both the Gill Harness Rescue Tool with case and Gill’s 5 Liter Dry Bag (L055), free!
View complete details and mention this blog post when you call to place your order, in order to guarantee shipment.
Happy Holiday from Gill and Sailing Pro Shop!
The Velocitek Shift is a state-of-the-art sailing compass that uses gyroscopes (a device consisting of a wheel) and magnetic sensors to help users track the orientation of their boat in three dimensions. As noted by Velocitek’s Chief Marketing Officer, Charles Swanson in the below video, when you use this device prior to a race, you won’t need to memorize or record reference angles. Just simply push a dedicated button to store a reference angle.
What Users Had to Say
Here’s what two professional sailors had to say about this piece of sailing gear, as illustrated in a Velocitek video.
“It accelerates a new course change faster than our tactic compasses and it also is a much stable average.” – Bora Gulari, 2x Moth World Champion
“It was very simple for me to go upwind before the start, hit the number, and the set button. … Once the race started I immediately knew if I was lifted or headed. Just the fact that I could look and see the heather lifted number didn’t make me think too much and I was able to focus my efforts elsewhere.” – Anthony Kotoun, Moth North American Champion
As noted by NeilPryde, this Buoyancy Aid was designed for the sailor who demands minimum bulk and maximum freedom to move. At a glance, our sailing vest here has soft and ergonomically cut form for comfort and performance, reflective panels and piping, an oversized zipper with a protective flap, and a large stretch mesh drainage pocket.
This vest is made 100 percent out of Nylon Outer and 100 percent NBR rubber inner foam. It’s available in XS/Small, M/Large, and XL/2X Large. It’s CE approved, but not Coast Guard approved and does not serve as a PFD. Instead, this product is meant to aid in flotation of a user.
In the America’s Cup in San Francisco just this past year, Oracle Team USA wore this product. If you visit this link, you’ll see Simeon Tienpont, a member of Oracle Team USA with it on. For more information, please visit our NeilPryde Elite Buoyancy Aid Product Page.
Arguably, the Ronstan Clear Start Sailing Watch 4030 is the best sailing watch in the world. Well, that watch just got better with this Ronstan Clear Start Sailing Watch 4050. It has a fresh new look with large buttons, displays that are easy to read, and an advanced intuitive programming that was designed with the racing sailor in mind.
Not to mention, some of the world’s top sailors gave their input on this Clear Start™ watch. We love everything about it from its race sequence resynchronization, to its pre-programed race sequence sounds, and its bold and functional styling.
We checked in with some of our customers who purchased this sailing watch to see what they thought of it. Many sang its praises and agree that it’s in a class of it’s own. One customer went as far as saying that this watch is hands down the best piece of catamaran equipment he owns.
This is a great watch, indeed. Order it and see for yourself.
885 West 16th Street
Newport Beach CA, 92663
P: (949) 646-8749